Friday, March 21, 2014

Wan Azizah: I am not out to deceive Kajang voters

Wan Azizah Kajang
KAJANG: PKR’s candidate for the Kajang by-election, Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail chastised Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin for accusing her of trying to deceive Kajang voters with her pretense as a person who prays.

“Are you saying that I cannot even offer prayers? What am I going to con from the people here?” Azizah who is also PKR president asked during a ceramah session held last night in Taman Sentosa Villa near here.
Two days ago Muhyiddin had told Kajang voters that they should not be deceived by pictures of Azizah praying as depicted on PKR election campaign billboards.

The billboards show Azizah in prayer and the words ‘Justice for Anwar Ibrahim’.
To discredit her, Azizah’s political opponents have also started a smear campaign describing her as a grandmother who would do best tending her grandchildren.
“It is alright if they call me a grandmother. I am proud to be a grandmother. I am blessed with six children and six grandchildren,” she said.
She also said that it was vital for her to fight against tyranny during her lifetime.
“As long as I am alive, I will stand up and fight tyranny. Otherwise we will have to bow down. I am not willing to be suppressed,” she said.
Azizah will face off MCA vice president Chew Mei Fun from BN this Sunday.
The Kajang state seat fell vacant following the resignation of incumbent assemblymen Lee Chin Cheh of PKR on Jan 27.
The state seat comprises 39,728 registered voters. At the last general election in May 2013, the seat saw a voter turnout of 87.9% with 541 spoilt votes.